Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The God of Fuck


All of my serious musician and music critic friends absolutely love Marilyn Manson. And not just his music, or his weirdo 1998 phase where he resembled both Shirley Manson and Marilyn Monroe (all coincidence in relation to his name, er, I think) but virtually everything he has touched (including Rose McGowan). Every decision he has made (starring in 2002's Bowling For Columbine, where he wisely advised that privledged America probably should have listened to these misguided youths than turn their backs on them) and his return to shock rock, six-feet stilts and loads of drugs. I almost want to pretend I never liked him, so I could say that I used to think he was weird, but now I understand and embrace him; but I am worse. I purchased 1996's Antichrist Superstar and was lifted to greater heights by its premise--despite my inept and flippant reasoning for buying it--he looked crazy, and I thought that Beautiful People was cool. So I've been interested since his public inception, even if he drew me in by what he hated the most. Manson is no longer the God of Fuck, but just a God, a rock God understanding his role, and embracing it, which only makes me realize that no one has done it in a very long time. Manson rose above the rolling hills of sleepy Ohio to become a poet, a teacher (Temple University) an author, an actor, a painter, a auteur and a director. Oh, and he does it all on loads of drugs. God love him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home